Thursday, March 10, 2011

Life, what can you say? (Part 2)

So you know, there are those goals that are just hard for me to keep.  Journaling is one of them.  I try to blog during certain times of the day, because the computer at home is either in use (by my very studious husband) or I'm just too tired (going to have to make some adjustments when the kids come!).  However, I've had a new goal of really putting my shoulder to the wheel at work and it is going pretty ok so far.  This means, though, that I need to make new time to blog.  Since Trent is home sick today, I'm going to blog during my lunch.  So here we go:
Recent events 
1. Amanda outings: On the 1st of this month, we went to the DI to find some treasures.  We each had $5 (I set the limit low, or else... ;0).  I found 3 books to add to our children's book collection, and she found a shirt.  Yea!  This past Tuesday, we went to Roberts and got supplies for decorating a canvas.  This canvas was to be a creative way of displaying our goals, as I felt it was time to get us both thinking about them (AND writing them down).  I'll have to post a picture later of mine...I left the camera in the car while we decorated them and didn't get a picture of hers.
2. Family time: We got to attend my Uncle Craig's 60th birthday this past weekend, AND got to have dinner with Grandpa twice in the past two weeks.  Poor guy found out he had pneumonia this last week, so we got to take him dinner yesterday (extra dinner time :).
 3. Sad but so good(and a bit cheezy): Do any of you watch The Biggest Loser? I haven't ever watched it as consistently as I have this past season, and this is a good one.  Last week, the contestants got to have a home visit.  It was so much fun watching them all...I cried.  Then Arthur went home...and I cried more (sometimes I am such a baby).  Like, seriously.  I was angry with the red team, and angry that they couldn't say anything better then "we need to be loyal to our team" as the reason for sending him home.  Then, they showed how he is doing today, and he is great.  He probably would've lost more had he been able to stay on the ranch longer, but as for his attitude--it was awesome.  At that point, I realized I needed to buck-up and deal.  After all, what were my tears worth if he was being positive, making progress, and seeing great results?  
This lesson came into full application when I attended a funeral for my friends' little boy this past weekend.  He only lived 3 1/2 months, and had an impact on every life he touched...including mine.  I didn't know about his death until the day before the funeral, didn't even know he was born yet either (last time I saw his mom was in October at Krystal's wedding, at which point she was still pregnant.  Still...bad friend).  When I got to the funeral, I didn't know what to expect, as I myself wouldn't know how I would handle something like this.  And you know, Jen and Scott were amazing, absolutely AMAZING.  When I was talking to Scott's dad after the service, he related to me (and another friend) the process they went though to get the funeral planned.  President DuVall told his son "We don't have funerals for babies." To which Scott replied "Haven't you always told us, funerals are opportunities for us to teach the gospel?"  And boy, were we taught!  I left feeling tired and worn out from the experience, and knowing everything was really going to be ok.  There were 3 main lessons that stuck with me that day, namely: 1.The gospel is real (and still true...love those reminders :); 2. the Atonement really does have the power to heal hearts (you know this, you just sometimes wonder how to apply it to yourself and those around you) and 3. Jen and Scott will have their hard days, but they will be blessed to have the comfort of the Spirit with them on those days...all because they understand the preceding 2 points.  Once again, it was time to buck up and think.  How would my tears help them when they were blessed with a greater peace?  I needed to look inside myself to understand and apply these lessons, and their preparation helped me.  
4.  This face...
...the one holding these sweet little ones, is sick today.  My poor husband feels like he's been hit by a bus.  I can't wait until I can go home and take care of him.
And that, friends, is the best, most concise update for my absence these past few weeks (that and all the busy-ness that comes with life).  Hope you are all well!  Until next time...

2 comments:

Amy said...

This post was great (reading back on them to catch up) and while this whole post was great - I have one comment -- I totally bawled like a baby when they sent Arthur home and I was SOOOO mad at that red team and their 'alliance', shocked that they still did that even after Bob gave them a talking to @ it too. Buttheads.

Unknown said...

I know--they totally ignored what he said--and the fabulous quote of his on the wall that I love "This is not about winning a game, it's about fixing what is broken." So applicable to life...