Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amanda and the Essential 55

 
So, after some input from the woman that is over the mentor program, we changed our focus this year with Amanda.  After all, the poor girl has been taken all around Utah County and has been subjected to many things:

 Hugging the fake Santa at the Jamestown assisted living center (a place that she LOVES by the way...especially because Leah lives there...our little friend Leah has a way of helping her to feel loved and accepted (and me too!)...love that woman :)

Walking down the railroad tracks for a good picture...this, a feat in and of itself because for the first year we spent together, she wouldn't hardly let me take her picture :)

Looking for cool buildings...some that are nearly dilapidated, but that peak our interest (Culture tour of Utah County) 

And finally...more pictures (can't forget the "sassy pose")

Anyway, as I was saying, we changed our focus to working on learning the rules listed in the Essential 55.  This is a book written by Ron Clark, a teacher that had difficult children.  Let me qualify that though...Amanda is not necessarily a difficult child, especially for us.  However, she was raised in circumstances that were much different then we were, and as such, has ideas, thoughts, values and attitudes that are different then mine.  Let me also say, however (this part seems like one big run on sentence...blah), that my ideas, thoughts, values and attitudes are not always as refined as they should be...so we both had something to learn on this journey.  Long story short...we were both in for the adventure!  So far, we've done Rules 1, 5 and last night was Rule 11.  Rule 11 basically states that you should perform a random act of kindness for someone that is totally random once a month.  This act of kindness cannot be something that is expected or asked for (i.e. birthday or anniversary present); rather, it has to be something that is thought out beyond just buying someone a gift.  The reading that went with the rule was quite lengthy (after stating the rules, he'll give an example of how he taught his class this rule), and very enjoyable.  After we finished, though, I asked if she had thought of someone we could do something nice for.  She didn't have any ideas, but I did.  She has an older sister that lives in Payson that we've never been able to do anything for.  I suggested going and getting her some flowers.  She was all for it.  We went to a new flower shop in Spanish Fork that we'd just noticed that day, and I let her pick out 3 flowers (2 roses and a daisy).  After the girl wrapped them up, we jumped in the car and off we went.  She was so excited to do something for Jill...we hadn't before, just because of the drive to get to her house...but now with Amanda living in Spanish, that made the distance much shorter.  She directed me around the roads and right up into the driveway.  Then she ran into the house while I waited in the car.  

We'll have to work on the random act of kindness once a month.  I think it will be good for us both to think of others and what we can do for them.  This might involve visits, gifts, notes...who knows, but we will come up with something good sure!

Stay tuned for next weeks episode...

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love that idea of a random act of kindness. I think I'll start doing that too, I'm sure her sister was thrilled about the flowers. Love this post.

Trent and Meg said...

I know it sure made me feel good :D

Krista said...

Yea!! So happy to see that you've started a blog! I can't wait to see all the things you are doing...I miss you Miss Megan! Love, Krista

Trent and Meg said...

I know what you mean :) We need to meet up soon...hopefully in DC or there about ;) That way you can show us around :)