Tuesday, February 1, 2011

People I am grateful for--Day 1

In honor of the month of love, I thought I would a few weeks honoring some of the people who mean the most in my life.  I should make a schedule (so that I get through all those that I want)...but we're just going to wing it for now :)
 
This wonderful person is my friend Misty.  She's been on my mind much as of late, just with the different things going on in her family (i.e. Sister having back surgery, her parents are leaving for a mission in like 10ish days, the fact that she lives 5 min away from my grandpa...).  Anyway, Misty and I first met here:

For those who don't know, this is a map of Brussels, Belgium.  On my first official day in the mission (the day after we arrived), we were taken to the Grand Place and went on splits with the Louise (or Strombeck?) missionaries.  Needless to say, I was a bit nervous.  After all, here we were...no more MTC...surrounded by people who spoke French and Dutch, and to top it off, it was C-O-L-D.  I was the only Soeur in the group, so Misty (at that time Soeur Halley) and her companion Soeur Loo came and got me and we started walking the streets and trying to talk to those around us.  Her companion noticed my shivering, and pulled out her extra scarf.  She showed me how the Europeans tied it, and can I tell you...that made all the difference!  We didn't make any "golden contacts" that day...but I got a small view of a town I would later serve in and love.  When we went back to meet up with the other missionaries and head to our next activity, I noticed a couple I had met on the plane from England and said hi.  I think most of the missionaries were rendered speechless at that...until I explained I'd just met them the day before.  Such a funny coincidence.  

Anyway--Misty and I didn't see much of each other until we were both transferred to the best ville on earth--St. Quentin.





 I may be a little prejudice...but this is a city I grew to love.  And I couldn't have asked for a better companions to make the start of that journey even more memorable.  Misty and I would serve with Soeur LeFevre for 6 weeks, and then she would move on to Lille, France.  However, we would be friends and sisters from that moment on.  We became roommates for over a year, and were active participants in each others weddings.  

  
I love Misty because of her attitude.  She is one of the select few who really know and apply the phrase "work your tail off."  When we were on the mission, she had a harder time them most learning the French language.  However, she didn't let that stop her; rather, she would get up early and study before Soeur LeFevre and I were out of our beds.  There have been times when she has struggled with feelings of  self worth, but she never lets anyone around her feel that way.  Rather, she makes you feel like the best, most important being on the earth.  She has a way of loving others that are "different" that I will always envy. She has the best and brightest smile...one that cannot be duplicated by many.  I am so blessed to have her in my life!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

YAY! You have a blog! :) I'm so excited to keep tabs on you guys. :)

Megan said...

I love that I just found your new bloggy! And I love that you were thinking about us. We had a friend over, and she asked Andrew, "Is that your aunt and uncle?" (assuming that we would put pictures of our family on our magnet board) and he said, "No, it's my sister." I had to explain that he meant, his Sister...He LOVES you!! We miss you guys more than words. Can't wait to stalk even more. Thanks to blogs.

Carrie said...

I Miss St. Quentin!!!!! And, I miss you and Misty!!!!